The Sam Splint is a 'nifty' little device that helps to stabilise the unstable pelvis. It has a patented autostop buckle which prevents further pulling when the correct compression force is applied.
- Lay splint on bed before the arrival of a trauma patient likely to have a pelvic injury
- Correct site is at the level of the GREATER TROCHANTERS (so often a little lower than you would first think)
- ensure nothing in patient pockets before applying
- When correct force applied an audible click is heard and two prongs are released preventing further force being delivered
- ensure these prongs remain visible when strap secured in place